Chile ex-Army chief admits handing child to nuns
Santiago (Chile): Chile`s former Army chief acknowledged that he handed over to nuns the child of two left-wing activists killed after the 1973 military coup.
Juan Emilio Cheyre, who now heads Chile`s electoral service, told the newspaper El Mercurio yesterday that he gave 2-year-old Ernesto Lejderman to a convent. In his first time speaking publicly about the case, he said that he was just following orders and that his conscience is clean.
"In this and every act of my life, I never hid my past or stopped assuming my responsibilities," Cheyre said. "I`ve faced even responsibilities that I felt others didn`t in the tragic history of Chile."
Lejderman, who was raised by his grandparents in Argentina, has said Cheyre shouldn`t face charges. But human rights group are calling for Cheyre to quit his electoral post.
Lejderman`s parents, Argentine citizen Bernardo Lejderman and Mexican citizen Rosario Avalos, were killed while trying to escape with their son after Gen. Augusto Pinochet`s coup.
The Pinochet dictatorship`s official version of what happened was that the couple committed suicide with dynamite. But 25 years after their deaths, a court said they were murdered by a military patrol on the outskirts of the northern city of La Serena.
Cheyre, who was then a 25-year-old lieutenant, said his superiors ordered him to take the child to a convent while they contacted his grandparents through the Argentine and Mexican embassies.
He said he has since met with the couple`s son. He said that the case is closed and that "those who were responsible were already convicted" by the Supreme Court.
Chile`s government estimates 3,095 people were killed during Pinochet`s 1973-90 dictatorship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources