Chile exhumes remains of late president Allende
Santiago: Chile on Monday exhumed the remains of former president Salvador Allende, in hopes of finally determining whether he committed suicide or was assassinated during a 1973 coup.
Officials hope that a forensic analysis of Allende`s remains will resolve a decades-old controversy over his death in his presidential palace on September 11, 1973 in the midst of the coup that brought General Augusto Pinochet to power.
The official version of events was that Allende killed himself with an assault rifle as the presidential palace was under attack from the air and ground.
But neither the weapon nor bullets were recovered following his death, and Pinochet`s military regime prevented Allende`s family from seeing his corpse after the coup. There was no criminal investigation into his death.
A Chilean prosecutor announced the inquiry in January, as part of an investigation into the deaths of 725 unprobed human rights complaints against Pinochet`s 1973-1990 military dictatorship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’