Chile exhumes remains of late president Allende
Santiago: Chile on Monday exhumed the remains of former president Salvador Allende, in hopes of finally determining whether he committed suicide or was assassinated during a 1973 coup.
Officials hope that a forensic analysis of Allende`s remains will resolve a decades-old controversy over his death in his presidential palace on September 11, 1973 in the midst of the coup that brought General Augusto Pinochet to power.
The official version of events was that Allende killed himself with an assault rifle as the presidential palace was under attack from the air and ground.
But neither the weapon nor bullets were recovered following his death, and Pinochet`s military regime prevented Allende`s family from seeing his corpse after the coup. There was no criminal investigation into his death.
A Chilean prosecutor announced the inquiry in January, as part of an investigation into the deaths of 725 unprobed human rights complaints against Pinochet`s 1973-1990 military dictatorship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested