Chile: Generals guilty, trafficked arms to Croatia
Santiago: Chile`s Supreme Court on Friday unanimously convicted two retired generals of illegal weapons sales to Croatia 20 years ago in violation of a United Nations embargo.
Retired Army General Hector Letelier Skinner and retired Air Force General Vicente Rodriguez Bustos were sentenced to three years each. Eight others also were convicted. All were allowed to serve their terms at home.
Chile sent 36 crates of weapons and ammunition to Budapest on a private plane in 1992. The shipment, smuggled in as humanitarian aid, was intercepted just as the Balkan Wars were turning to genocide.
The case also was linked to the death of Colonel Gerardo Huber, a top official in the Chilean Army`s logistics division who had informed dictator Augusto Pinochet of the wrongdoing. Huber died before he could testify, and it was initially labelled suicide, but a judge later determined that someone else shot him in the head before he was thrown from a bridge. His killing has never been solved.
Huber`s boss, General Carlos Krumm, was not found to be responsible in the weapons case. Krumm testified that the illegal arms sale was personally approved by Pinochet. The former dictator was serving pre-trial house arrest in the weapons scheme and for rights violations when he died in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them