Chile miners sue government for 69-day ordeal
Santiago: Some 31 miners who endured 69 days trapped underground when a northern Chile mine collapsed are suing the government for negligence saying there was lack of security, one of them said.
"We want what we went through at the bottom of that mine to be recognized. We are here to say that the 31 of us wish that all our suffering, and the suffering of our families, is recognized," miner Luis Urzua told reporters.
A total of 33 miners were trapped underground from August 5 to October 13, 2010 after a cave-in at the San Jose gold and copper mine in northern Chile.
After 69 days and a spectacular rescue operation with the world watching, they were hauled out safely from 700 meters below ground.
Only 31 of the group have joined the lawsuit against the Chilean government, and a lawyer filed the suit on Friday requesting USD 540,000 in compensation for each of the miners.
The miners allege that the National Geology and Mines Bureau had failed to carry out proper inspections of the mine`s security and working conditions.
One of the plaintiffs, miner Claudio Yanez, said the mine had had accidents in the past and at one time had been closed.
"Everyone knows that in 2005 and 2007 there were two deaths in this mine, and that since then it had always been a dangerous mine," Yanez told a news channel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!