Chile protests seek Obama apology for CIA meddling
Santiago: Several hundred people have protested in the Chilean capital ahead of Monday`s visit by President Barack Obama.
Communist Party leader Guillermo Teillier says political, cultural and social representatives have signed a letter to Obama. It asks him to apologise for US intervention that destabilised Salvador Allende`s socialist government in Chile before the 1973 coup that began Gen. Augusto Pinochet`s dictatorship.
Protesters are also criticising a new nuclear energy accord between the US and Chile that focuses on US training of Chilean nuclear engineers.
Senate opposition leader Carolina Toha said on Sunday that the deal makes no sense in light of Japan`s ongoing nuclear crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation