Chile quake damage estimated at $30 bn
Santiago: Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has said property worth USD 30 billion damaged in the 8.8-magnitude quake in the country last month, Xinhua reported.
"The property losses caused by the earthquake and (the ensuing) tsunami are estimated at USD 30 billion," Pinera said at a press conference on Friday.
The Februarty 27 earthquake damaged houses, hospitals, schools and other infrastructure.
Pinera said a readjustment has been made in the country`s annual budget after these events.
"We will use some international credits because Chile has a very low external debt," he noted.
He announced the creation of a fund for the country`s reconstruction.
Pinera was sworn into office on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police