Chile quake damage estimated at $30 bn
Santiago: Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has said property worth USD 30 billion damaged in the 8.8-magnitude quake in the country last month, Xinhua reported.
"The property losses caused by the earthquake and (the ensuing) tsunami are estimated at USD 30 billion," Pinera said at a press conference on Friday.
The Februarty 27 earthquake damaged houses, hospitals, schools and other infrastructure.
Pinera said a readjustment has been made in the country`s annual budget after these events.
"We will use some international credits because Chile has a very low external debt," he noted.
He announced the creation of a fund for the country`s reconstruction.
Pinera was sworn into office on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah