Chile starts investigating Pinochet era political murders
Santiago: Chilean authorities has started
investigating the first 100 lawsuits filed for political
murders during the dictatorship of General Augusto Pinochet.
A victims` families association said more than 1,000
cases would begin to be investigated in the next five months.
Judge Mario Carrozas said received the first 100 cases
on Tuesday and that he could possibly seek help from
"Morally, we have a mandate to see reparations made to
victims," Alicia Lira, the head of the relatives` group, told
a news agency.
Pinochet`s 1973-1990 military regime is blamed for some
3,000 deaths and disappearances in a "dirty war" against the
Pinochet died in December 2006 at a military hospital in
Santiago, at the age of 91, after evading repeated attempts to
bring him to trial.
Two weeks before his death, Pinochet took responsibility
for actions committed under his rule, but never apologized for
the suffering he caused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader