Chilean begins as UN peacekeeping chief in Haiti
Port-au-Prince: A career Chilean diplomat has taken up his post as head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Haiti.
Mariano Fernandez Amunategui is the special representative of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. He replaces Edmond Mulet, a Guatemalan diplomat who left the job in late May.
Fernandez will oversee the UN mission that was sent to Haiti in 2004 to stabilise the poor Caribbean country after a violent rebellion toppled former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide and sent him into exile.
The United Nations press office said on Monday that Fernandez arrived in Haiti on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read