Chilean begins as UN peacekeeping chief in Haiti
Port-au-Prince: A career Chilean diplomat has taken up his post as head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Haiti.
Mariano Fernandez Amunategui is the special representative of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. He replaces Edmond Mulet, a Guatemalan diplomat who left the job in late May.
Fernandez will oversee the UN mission that was sent to Haiti in 2004 to stabilise the poor Caribbean country after a violent rebellion toppled former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide and sent him into exile.
The United Nations press office said on Monday that Fernandez arrived in Haiti on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah