Chilean begins as UN peacekeeping chief in Haiti
Port-au-Prince: A career Chilean diplomat has taken up his post as head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Haiti.
Mariano Fernandez Amunategui is the special representative of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. He replaces Edmond Mulet, a Guatemalan diplomat who left the job in late May.
Fernandez will oversee the UN mission that was sent to Haiti in 2004 to stabilise the poor Caribbean country after a violent rebellion toppled former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide and sent him into exile.
The United Nations press office said on Monday that Fernandez arrived in Haiti on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cristiano Ronaldo might win the Ballon d'Or but Lionel Messi is the best: Luis Suarez
- Rape was there since earth's creation: Haryana BJP women's cell chief
- Ugly spat in Parliament - Renuka Chowdhury calls Harsimrat Kaur 'Kachra': Know what happened
- Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for rail passengers in less than Rs 2
- India may approach Britain on bringing back Kohinoor