China: 12 dead in rains
Beijing: Torrential rains that lashed large areas of China since Friday night have killed at least 12 people, authorities said on Saturday.
In Beijing, rainstorms left two people dead and six injured as strong winds toppled rooftops at a construction site in the city`s Tongzhou district, Xinhua reported.
Heavy rain that started thrashing the city around 10 am on Saturday inundated roads and severely disrupted air traffic.
A total of 246 domestic flights and 14 international flights were cancelled, and another 193 delayed for more than one hour, according to the Beijing Capital International Airport said.
Beijing received 95 mm of rain till Saturday evening, with the suburban Mentougou district hit by the highest 327 mm, according to the Beijing Meteorological Bureau.
In northern Shanxi province, four people were killed and one went missing, after the pick-up truck they were travelling in was carried by floodwaters to the middle of a river in Shuozhou city, rescuers said.
In southwestern Sichuan province`s Weiyuan county, six people were killed in rain-triggered landslides, the provincial flood control office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit