China: 16 children killed, 3 others missing in landslide
Beijing: Sixteen children were killed while three others still missing after a huge landslide engulfed a primary school in south China`s Yunnan Province on Thursday.
The landslide hit the village of Zhenhe, Yiliang County of Zhaotong City trapping 19 villagers, the county government said.
Sixteen people were killed and three others still missing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The landslide, estimated to be around 160,000 cubic metres, engulfed a primary school in Tiantou where 18 students were attending a special class.
Rescuers are still looking for three others buried under the mud, the report said.
Six houses near the school were also hit by the landslide.
A family of three managed to escape the landslide before it hit the area.
The landslide also blocked a nearby river, forming a barrier lake that is 15 metres wide and seven metres deep, local official said.
The government has relocated more than 800 residents living downstream to safer places and mobilised nearly 2,000 people to destroy the barrier lake and aid rescue efforts, the report said.
Yiliang was struck by multiple earthquakes on September 7 in which 81 people were killed 800 others injured.
The students went to school to attend a special class to to catch up with the lessons delayed due to last month`s earthquake.
The rescuers were working to reach those who are still trapped in the landslide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'