China: 16 children killed, 3 others missing in landslide
Beijing: Sixteen children were killed while three others still missing after a huge landslide engulfed a primary school in south China`s Yunnan Province on Thursday.
The landslide hit the village of Zhenhe, Yiliang County of Zhaotong City trapping 19 villagers, the county government said.
Sixteen people were killed and three others still missing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The landslide, estimated to be around 160,000 cubic metres, engulfed a primary school in Tiantou where 18 students were attending a special class.
Rescuers are still looking for three others buried under the mud, the report said.
Six houses near the school were also hit by the landslide.
A family of three managed to escape the landslide before it hit the area.
The landslide also blocked a nearby river, forming a barrier lake that is 15 metres wide and seven metres deep, local official said.
The government has relocated more than 800 residents living downstream to safer places and mobilised nearly 2,000 people to destroy the barrier lake and aid rescue efforts, the report said.
Yiliang was struck by multiple earthquakes on September 7 in which 81 people were killed 800 others injured.
The students went to school to attend a special class to to catch up with the lessons delayed due to last month`s earthquake.
The rescuers were working to reach those who are still trapped in the landslide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes