China: 17 killed in coal mine accident
Beijing: Seventeen people were killed and six others injured in a coal mine accident in China`s southwestern Yunan Province.
A total of 66 miners were working underground when a coal and gas blast occurred yesterday in a shaft of the Shangchang Coal Mine in Huangheni Township of Fuyuan County.
Sixteen miners were killed on the spot and one died on the way to the hospital, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Six of the 49 miners who survived the accident were injured and sent to a local hospital.
One of them is in serious condition, the sources said, adding that the injuries are not life-threatening.
Miner Yan Hanyong recalled that he and his co-workers were working on a southern platform when he received a phone call asking them to return to the surface due to a high density of gas in the mine.
The owner and the manager of the mine have been taken into police custody for questioning, sources said.
A preliminary investigation showed that the mine was fully licensed, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results