China: 23 killed, 87 injured in road accidents
Beijing: At least 23 people were killed and
87 others injured in three deadly road accidents in China,
officials said on Saturday.
Twelve people were killed and five others went missing
after a bus fell into a river in Qamdo of China`s southwestern
Tibet Autonomous Region, the local government said today.
The passenger bus, carrying 19 people including the
driver, fell into the Zaqu River in Cerwai Town four days ago.
Two people, including the bus driver, were slightly
injured, according to the emergency response office under the
government of Qamdo prefecture in northeastern Tibet.
Rescuers are searching for the missing passengers along
the river. As of Friday night, 12 bodies were recovered.
Six of the dead have been identified to be Qamdo natives,
and the rest are from the neighbouring Qinghai Province. The
vehicle has been pulled out of the river for investigation.
In another accident, nine people were killed and seven
others seriously injured after a long-distance coach collided
with a heavy-duty truck in Hotan in northwest China`s Xinjiang
Uygur Autonomous Region early today.
The accident occurred when the coach with 33 cotton
picking workers aboard collided with a forthcoming truck on a
desert road while travelling from Aksu to Hotan, the Hotan
prefecture government said in a statement.
Traffic police said snow and heavy fog had reduced the
visibility in the area to less than 100 meters.
An initial investigation showed the truck was running on
the wrong lane at the time of the accident.
In a separate accident, a bus carrying tourists from the
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region overturned in
northeast Jilin province, killing two and injuring 38 others,
including two severely, yesterday, local government said.
The accident took place at Yushu city, when a bus heading
from Harbin, capital of Heilongjiang province, to the city of
Jilin, overturned into a roadside ditch after colliding with a
farm vehicle, a local official said.
The bus carried 38 tourists from Hong Kong, of whom two
died, two sustained serious injuries and 34 others were
slightly injured. Two people on the farm vehicle were also
slightly injured, the official said.
The two severely injured have been sent to a hospital in
Harbin, while others were admitted to two local hospitals in
Yushu. None of the injured is in critical condition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani