China: 2,800 held for abducting minors
Beijing: About 2,800 people suspected of abducting minors and forcing them into criminal activities have been arrested in China, according to police.
Chinese police have arrested 2,749 people suspected of abducting minors from the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous region and compelling them to participate in criminal gang activities, Xinhua quoted a statement issued by the Ministry of Public Security as saying Tuesday.
Since April 2011, a national crackdown on such crimes has led to the rescue of 2,274 abducted minors from Xinjiang, the report said.
In the latest operation Oct. 30, police in seven municipalities and provinces, including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong, detained 90 suspects and rescued 28 minors.
The suspects were found to have abducted minors in Xinjiang, sent them to major cities and forced them to steal -- either with or without the threat of force -- in public areas such as shopping centres and bus stations, said the report, citing preliminary investigations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive