China: 2,800 held for abducting minors
Beijing: About 2,800 people suspected of abducting minors and forcing them into criminal activities have been arrested in China, according to police.
Chinese police have arrested 2,749 people suspected of abducting minors from the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous region and compelling them to participate in criminal gang activities, Xinhua quoted a statement issued by the Ministry of Public Security as saying Tuesday.
Since April 2011, a national crackdown on such crimes has led to the rescue of 2,274 abducted minors from Xinjiang, the report said.
In the latest operation Oct. 30, police in seven municipalities and provinces, including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong, detained 90 suspects and rescued 28 minors.
The suspects were found to have abducted minors in Xinjiang, sent them to major cities and forced them to steal -- either with or without the threat of force -- in public areas such as shopping centres and bus stations, said the report, citing preliminary investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack