China: 4 killed, 50 trapped in a coal mine
Beijing: Four miners were killed and seven
others pulled out alive while rescuers on Friday made frantic
efforts to save 50 others trapped under the rubble in central
China`s Henan province after it was hit by an earthquake.
Crowds cheered when over 200 rescuers frantically working
to rescue the trapped miners pulled out seven of them alive.
Six of them had sustained minor injuries, and the other
one had been seriously injured when rescuers located them 510
meters underground Friday morning, state run Xinhua reported.
The accident happened yesterday evening in the Qianqiu
Coal Mine in the city of Sanmenxia, a while after a 2.9-
magnitude earthquake hit the city of Sanmenxia city following
which heap of rocks came tumbling down, according to rescuers.
A total of 75 miners were working in the shaft at the
time of the accident, of whom 14 managed to escape, the
The shaft is about 760-meters deep and the rock burst
blocked off the shaft at a depth of about 480 meters, which
has hampered ongoing rescue efforts, they said, according to
the rescue headquarters.
The coal mine, with an annual production capacity of 2.1
million tonnes, belongs to Yima Coal Group, a major tate-owned
coal enterprise in Henan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'