China: 52 killed in road accidents in one day
Beijing: At least 52 people were killed and
19 others injured in three major road accidents across China
on Friday, police said.
At least 35 people were killed in an expressway accident
in north China`s port city of Tianjin, police said.
The accident occurred when a coach rolled over after
colliding with a car at the Tianjin section of an expressway
linking the city`s Binhai New Area with the city of Baoding in
neighboring Hebei Province.
It is not immediately clear how many people were injured,
state-run Xinhua news agency quoted an official with the
Tianjin Municipal Public Security Bureau as saying.
In the second accident, at least six people were killed
and another 19 were injured in a 24-car pileup in east China`s
Anhui province, traffic police said.
The accident occurred on an expressway in Xiaoxian County.
The injured have been taken to a local hospital for treatment,
according to Tang Yao, a publicity official from the local
The accident halted traffic on the expressway for four
hours, Tang said.
In the third accident, 11 people have been confirmed dead
in a collision truck-mini-bus collision in Sheqi County in
central China`s Henan province.
All of the mini-bus`s 11 passengers were killed
instantly, said Yang Yinpeng, a county official.
China zipped past the United States in 2009 to become the
world`s largest auto market. However, the booming nation`s
roads are among the world`s most dangerous.
Almost 70,000 people died in road accidents in 2009 --
around 190 fatalities a day -- according to latest available
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack