China: 6 dead in covered-up coal mine accident
Six people were killed in a coal mine explosion that had been covered up for 13 days in China`s northeastern Heilongjiang Province.
Beijing: Six people were killed in a coal
mine explosion that had been covered up for 13 days in China`s
northeastern Heilongjiang Province, a provincial work safety
official said on Saturday.
The mine owner Wang Guomin has confessed that six
people were killed in the blast in the Guomin Coal Mine in the
Taoshan District of Qitaihe City on July 17.
The finding came after a joint provincial
investigation team arrived in Qitaihe in response to reports
from locals that a coal mine gas explosion killed several
people on the morning of July 17, state-run Xinhua news agency
The mine owner deliberately covered up the explosion,
according to an initial investigation, it said.
Meanwhile, six miners were reported missing in a
dormitory cave-in at an iron mine area in northern Hebei
Province on Thursday, local government sources said.
Eleven persons were in the dormitory when it collapsed
but fortunately, five people escaped. Rescue efforts for the
six trapped people have been underway, they said.
Constant heavy rains in the area caused the cave-in,
according to an initial investigation.
Past few months have seen a number of coal mine
accidents resulting in several deaths despite assertions by
the government that safety procedures in mines have been