China: 900 held for meat-related crimes
Beijing: A total of 904 people have been arrested in China during a three-month campaign for crimes such as producing fake beef and mutton made from rat and fox, the ministry of public security said.
Since Jan 25, police have uncovered a total of 382 cases involving meat-related offences, and seized more than 20,000 tonnes of illegal products, Xinhua cited the ministry as saying.
The crimes also included production of water-injected meat, use of chemicals while processing products, as well as selling of diseased and fake meat.
The ministry published a few cases uncovered during the campaign.
In Wuxi, in east Jiangsu province, suspects made fake mutton from fox, mink and rat by adding chemicals. The suspects made more than 10 million yuan (around $1.6 million) by selling such meat.
In southwest Guizhou province, police busted two meat processing dens, where the suspects were using hydrogen peroxide solution to process chicken claws since July 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!