China: 900 held for meat-related crimes
Beijing: A total of 904 people have been arrested in China during a three-month campaign for crimes such as producing fake beef and mutton made from rat and fox, the ministry of public security said.
Since Jan 25, police have uncovered a total of 382 cases involving meat-related offences, and seized more than 20,000 tonnes of illegal products, Xinhua cited the ministry as saying.
The crimes also included production of water-injected meat, use of chemicals while processing products, as well as selling of diseased and fake meat.
The ministry published a few cases uncovered during the campaign.
In Wuxi, in east Jiangsu province, suspects made fake mutton from fox, mink and rat by adding chemicals. The suspects made more than 10 million yuan (around $1.6 million) by selling such meat.
In southwest Guizhou province, police busted two meat processing dens, where the suspects were using hydrogen peroxide solution to process chicken claws since July 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list