China activist Chen Guangcheng to visit Taiwan
Taipei: Activist Chen Guangcheng, who fled house arrest in China and later moved to the US, will arrive on Sunday in Taiwan, where he will give several speeches expected to attract the attention of Beijing.
The 18-day trip is part of Chen`s efforts to enhance freedoms and human rights for his fellow Chinese, his organiser the Taiwan Association for China Human Rights said in a statement.
Chen sparked a diplomatic crisis between China and the United States last year when he fled to the US Embassy in Beijing from house arrest. Since then, he`s been a special student at New York University`s US-Asia Law Institute while working on a book due out this year.
Chen`s Taiwan visit offers a challenge to Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou, who has built his administration around better relations with China, from which Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949.
China claims Taiwan as its territory and resents any Taiwanese activity that embarrasses Beijing.
The island has one of the most vibrant democracies in Asia, but Ma is also trying to improve relations with Beijing. The presidential office said Ma has not scheduled a meeting with Chen.
In Taiwan, Chen will give a news conference, address the island`s legislature, meet Parliamentary Speaker Wang Jin-pyng and speak at universities, organisers said.
Chen escaped house arrest in his rural town in eastern China`s Shandong province in April 2012. Chinese officials later let him move to the US with his wife and children in an arrangement negotiated with the United States.
He had angered local Chinese officials by documenting complaints about forced abortions.
Chen caused a controversy earlier this month when he accused New York University of bowing to pressure from the China government and forcing him to leave.
The university denied that, and said it had offered him a one-year fellowship to help him escape China, and that it was concluding at the end of the academic year as planned.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!