China appoints new Ambassador to India
Beijing: China on Wednesday appointed career diplomat Wei Wei, its current envoy to Singapore, as the country`s new Ambassador to India, succeeding Zhang Yan.
President Hu Jintao has appointed Wei Wei, 57, as China`s new ambassador to India, replacing Zhang, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Hu made the appointment in line with a decision made by the Standing Committee of the National People`s Congress (NPC), China`s top legislature.
Wei has earlier worked as Chinese diplomat in Brunei, Ethiopia, Kenya and Zimbabwe.
He would be taking over the post at a time when India-China relations are on a better footing, with both the countries involved in comprehensive talks to improve ties on all fronts, including in the area of defence.
The two countries just concluded the fifth round of Annual Defence Dialogue (ADD) on a positive note.
China`s new leader Xi Jinping in a letter had assured Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that his country would pay "great importance" to developing bilateral ties as their cooperation has brought "substantial benefits" to both sides.
"China will, as it has been doing, pay great importance to developing relations with India and expects to carry out close cooperation with India to create a brighter future of their bilateral relations," Xi wrote in a letter to Singh last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference