China Army called on to keep order on anniversary
Beijing: China`s military on Saturday celebrated its
82nd anniversary, with an editorial in the official paper
calling on the armed forces to maintain social stability in
the wake of unrest on the fringes of its territory.
The People`s Liberation Army, the world`s largest with
2.3 million members, should strengthen coordination with local
governments to prepare to deal with all kinds of "unexpected"
incidents, a front-page editorial in the official People`s
Liberation Daily said.
"We must closely pay attention to developments in the
domestic and international situation ... and firmly oppose all
violent criminal activities and attempts to split the
country," it said.
The editorial echoed comments by Defense Minister Liang
Guanglie in a speech yesterday to mark the anniversary.
"Social stability" has become a watchword for China`s leaders
as economic growth slows and exposes rifts between rich and
The government is also worried about ethnic fault lines,
particularly after a riot last month in the far western
Xinjiang region between minority Uighurs and Han Chinese, the
country`s predominant ethnicity.
The violence in Xinjiang - where nearly 200 were killed -
and a similar uprising in Tibetan areas last year were branded
by Beijing as the work of terrorists, separatists and foreign
forces, part of a plot to carve up China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note