China arrests 802 for alleged child trafficking
Beijing: Chinese police arrested 802 people on suspicion of child trafficking and rescued 181 children in a major operation spanning 15 provinces, the Chinese Ministry of Public Security said on Friday.
The recent operation broke up two trafficking rings and led to the arrests of the ring leaders, the ministry said in a statement posted on its website.
Trafficking in children is a big problem in China. Its strict one-child policy which limits most urban couples to one child and rural couples to two if their first-born is a girl has driven a thriving market in babies, especially boys because of a traditional preference for male heirs.
Many trafficked babies are abducted, but some are sold by families who are too poor to care for a baby or do not want a baby girl.
The national operation was set up earlier this year after local police spotted trafficking signs, including frequent appearances of out-of-town pregnant women in a clinic in north China`s Hebei province, the ministry said. State media reported that parents wishing to sell their babies could find potential buyers through the clinic.
A doctor at the clinic was arrested, state media said. It was unclear whether the pregnant women were among those arrested.
In central China`s Henan province, an inspection of a long-distance bus turned up four suspects who tried to sell four infants, the ministry said.
State media report that a baby girl can fetch USD 4,800 to USD 8,000 and that a baby boy sells for USD 11,200 to USD 12,800. Last year, China rescued more than 8,000 children who were abducted or willingly sold by parents.
Chinese courts often hand down harsh punishments, including death sentences, to child traffickers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information