China arrests `US spy` in Hong Kong
Beijing: A Security Ministry official in China has been arrested on suspicion of spying for the US and passing on state secrets, Hong Kong media reports said.
The official, who was working as the private secretary for a vice-minister in the Security Ministry, was arrested earlier this year, the BBC reports.
If charges of spying are confirmed against the official, it would be the third major incident that will hit China-US relations in the past few months.
It would also be the highest-level spying case involving China and the US to become public since 1985, when intelligence official Yu Qiangsheng defected to the US.
According to local media reports, the official was recruited by the CIA.
The official ``fell trap to pretty woman`` set up by the CIA, Hong Kong-based Oriental Daily quoted the monthly New Way as saying.
The official was blackmailed and agreed to provide secret information to the US after the two were photographed in secret relationships, the reports reveals.
The official was arrested between January and March on allegations that he had passed information to the US for several years on China`s overseas espionage activities, the report said.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has however not responded to the reports.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also declined to comment on the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof