China ask Russia to stay away from South China Sea
Beijing: After its spat with India over the
oil exploration in blocs claimed by Vietnam in the disputed
South China Sea, China on Tuesday asked Russia to stay away from
taking up similar operation at the invitation of Hanoi.
Asked about reports that Vietnam and Russian companies
inked a deal for oil and gas exploration in the South China
Sea, (SCS), Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Liu Weimin
told a media briefing here that countries that were not
concerned with the dispute should stay away.
"China`s enjoys indisputable sovereignty over SCS. We hope
the disputes can be solved through negotiations by countries
concerned", he said.
"We hope the parties concerned can reach half way and
avoid having countries outside the region get involved in the
dispute", he added.
At the same, China also hopes that companies from
countries outside the SCS region could avoid getting involved
in disputes in the region, he said.
Reaffirming China`s indisputable sovereignty over the
Nansha Islands and their adjacent waters, Liu said China was
committed to the peaceful resolution of disputes through
direct negotiation and friendly consultation with countries
concerned based on respect for historical facts and
Similar remarks were made last year by China about ONGC
taking oil exploration in the blocs claimed by Vietnam.
Taking strong exception, China has asked India to stop
taking up such activity, which New Delhi brushed aside
asserting that its cooperation with Hanoi is under the
China had also reacted to External Affairs Minister, SM
Krishna`s statement few days ago that "SCS is the property of
the world and those trade-ways must be free from any national
China said that despite disputes, the navigation in the
area was never disrupted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way