China backs Argentina`s claim over Falklands
Beijing: China on Monday backed Argentina`s claim over the disputed Falkland islands, rejecting the validity of the referendum being held in the British-ruled territory.
"China supports Argentina`s claim to the islands and expects both sides to resolve the issue through dialogue in accordance with the law," China`s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
Hua said the issue is a leftover from colonialism. She called on Argentina and Britain to resolve the issue concerning the political status of the remote islands also called the Malvinas by Argentina, in accordance with UN resolutions.
Britain and Argentina fought a brief but bloody war over the South Atlantic Ocean islands in 1982 that ended in a British victory but claimed the lives of 649 Argentine and 255 British troops.
A referendum on whether the islands will retain their political status as a British overseas territory began on Sunday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!