China backs Argentina`s claim over Falklands
Beijing: China on Monday backed Argentina`s claim over the disputed Falkland islands, rejecting the validity of the referendum being held in the British-ruled territory.
"China supports Argentina`s claim to the islands and expects both sides to resolve the issue through dialogue in accordance with the law," China`s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
Hua said the issue is a leftover from colonialism. She called on Argentina and Britain to resolve the issue concerning the political status of the remote islands also called the Malvinas by Argentina, in accordance with UN resolutions.
Britain and Argentina fought a brief but bloody war over the South Atlantic Ocean islands in 1982 that ended in a British victory but claimed the lives of 649 Argentine and 255 British troops.
A referendum on whether the islands will retain their political status as a British overseas territory began on Sunday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!