China bans foreign tourists from Tibet
Beijing: China has banned foreign tourists from travelling to Tibet ahead of a parade in the capital to mark 60 years of Communist rule, an official said Tuesday, amid stepped-up security across the country to ensure nothing mars the celebrations.
Tan Lin, an official with the business administration office at the Tourism Bureau of Tibet, said foreign tourists would be banned from today onwards, but those who have already arrived would be allowed to stay.
China has tightened security in recent weeks ahead of the Oct 1 holiday that will see a military parade through the heart of Beijing, a speech by President Hu Jintao and a huge
Sales of knives have been banned at some stores including large retailers such as Wal-Mart and Carrefour after two separate knife attacks near Tiananmen Square last week,
according to store officials and state media.
A female staffer who gave her last name Lazhen at the sales department of the International Grand Hotel in Lhasa, 4,023 kilometres from Beijing, said the ban was in effect until Oct 8.
No foreigners came to her hotel yesterday and business has now down 20 to 30 per cent, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’