China becomes world`s fifth largest arms exporter
Stockholm: China has bypassed Britain as the world`s fifth largest arms exporter, a Swedish think-tank said on Sunday.
The volume of Chinese weapons exports rose by 162 percent in the five years 2008-2012, compared to the previous five-year period, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute said in its report.
That means China`s share of all international arms exports increased to 5 percent from 2 percent, and the country climbed to fifth from eighth in the rankings.
The largest buyer of Chinese weapons was Pakistan, which accounted for 55 percent of the country`s exports, followed by Myanmar with 8 per cent and Bangladesh with 7 percent, SIPRI said.
"China`s rise has been driven primarily by large-scale arms acquisitions by Pakistan," said Paul Holtom, the director of the SIPRI Arms Transfers Programme.
"However, a number of recent deals indicate that China is establishing itself as a significant arms supplier to a growing number of important recipient states."
Such deals include the sale of three frigates to Algeria, eight transport aircraft to Venezuela and 54 tanks to Morocco, SIPRI said.
The US remains the world`s top arms exporter during the 2008-2012 period, with 30 percent of the global volume.
Russia is second with 26 percent, Germany third with 7 percent, and France fourth with 6 percent, SIPRI said.
China`s move into the top-five means Britain (now in sixth place) dropped off the list of the top five for the first time since at least 1950, the earliest year covered by SIPRI data.
The institute said Asia dominated the global imports of weapons, with the top five importers all located in that region.
Here`s SIPRI`s list of the top 5 arms exporters in 2008-2012 (share of international exports in parenthesis):
1. United States (30 percent)
2. Russia (26)
3. Germany (7)
4. France (6)
5. China (5)
The top 5 arms importers in 2008-2012 (share of international imports in parenthesis):
1. India (12 percent)
2. China (6)
3. Pakistan (5)
4. South Korea (5)
5. Singapore (4)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi