China bird-flu outbreak toll reaches six
Shanghai: The toll from an outbreak of a new strain of bird flu in eastern China rose to six on Friday with the deaths of a farmer in Zhejiang province and two other people in this metropolis.
Doctors have confirmed 13 other cases of infection with a variant of the H7N9 virus.
All 13 patients are being treated under quarantine at hospitals in Shanghai and neighbouring regions.
Only one person who was in contact with the infected people has shown any symptoms.
Authorities in Shanghai ordered the slaughter of 20,536 birds at the city`s live-bird market after H7N9 was detected in a dove there.
As more cases are confirmed, experts are collecting more information and material that can provide clues about the nature of the new strain and how it is spread, Shanghai chief epidemiologist Wu Fan said in statements published by the Shanghai Daily.
The World Health Organization said a pandemic is unlikely, given that there is no evidence of person-to-person transmission of the virus.
The source of contagion could be contact with birds or mere proximity to them, WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said in Geneva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues