China blames Tibetan Youth Congress for self-immolations
Beijing: China`s state-run CCTV has aired a second documentary on self-immolation protests in Tibet accusing the Dharamshala-based Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC) of sending its cadre into the restive Himalayan region to instigate more youths to commit suicide.
The 30-minute documentary mainly focussed on a string of self-immolations in Gannan in Gansu Province close to Tibet and charged the Voice of America (VOA) and Radio Free Asia of carrying out anti-China propaganda through their broadcasts.
At the instance of the Dalai-clique, VOA broadcast secret instructions to its contacts in Tibet, the documentary claimed.
The VOA broadcast featured a number of ceremonies held in Dharamshala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile in India, to commemorate those who committed self-immolations and Dalai Lama`s praise for them, it claimed.
It also featured a 17-year-old survivor who lost both his legs recovering in the hospital.
The youth said when he tried to commit self-immolation he believed he was a hero but now regretted it and considered himself a fool.
The programme mainly focused on how a number of monks in Tibet came under the influence of the TYC and how it sent its cadre into Tibet to motivate youth to commit self-immolations.
About 95 people have committed self-immolations, which according to the oversees Tibetan groups were aimed at protesting Chinese rule and calling for the return of Dalai Lama from exile in India.
So far, a Buddhist monk and seven others have been convicted for instigating the self-immolations.
The monk has been given a two-year suspended death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees