China blames West for UN discord on Syrian war
Beijing: China has accused some Western countries of seeking regime change in Syria and blamed their increasing support for rebel forces in the civil war there as hurting the solidarity of the UN Security Council.
Wednesday`s remarks in the official People`s Daily come as China hosts an envoy of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The newspaper repeated China`s position that the only solution to the Syrian crisis is a political one. It said some Western countries` open discussion of a no-fly zone has caused the international community to be unable to reach consensus on how to respond to the crisis.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said yesterday that Washington hopes China will encourage the Assad regime to end violence and comply with outgoing UN peace envoy Kofi Annan`s peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!