China blames West for UN discord on Syrian war
Beijing: China has accused some Western countries of seeking regime change in Syria and blamed their increasing support for rebel forces in the civil war there as hurting the solidarity of the UN Security Council.
Wednesday`s remarks in the official People`s Daily come as China hosts an envoy of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The newspaper repeated China`s position that the only solution to the Syrian crisis is a political one. It said some Western countries` open discussion of a no-fly zone has caused the international community to be unable to reach consensus on how to respond to the crisis.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said yesterday that Washington hopes China will encourage the Assad regime to end violence and comply with outgoing UN peace envoy Kofi Annan`s peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire