China blames West for UN discord on Syrian war
Beijing: China has accused some Western countries of seeking regime change in Syria and blamed their increasing support for rebel forces in the civil war there as hurting the solidarity of the UN Security Council.
Wednesday`s remarks in the official People`s Daily come as China hosts an envoy of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The newspaper repeated China`s position that the only solution to the Syrian crisis is a political one. It said some Western countries` open discussion of a no-fly zone has caused the international community to be unable to reach consensus on how to respond to the crisis.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said yesterday that Washington hopes China will encourage the Assad regime to end violence and comply with outgoing UN peace envoy Kofi Annan`s peace plan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India