China blames West for UN discord on Syrian war
Beijing: China has accused some Western countries of seeking regime change in Syria and blamed their increasing support for rebel forces in the civil war there as hurting the solidarity of the UN Security Council.
Wednesday`s remarks in the official People`s Daily come as China hosts an envoy of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The newspaper repeated China`s position that the only solution to the Syrian crisis is a political one. It said some Western countries` open discussion of a no-fly zone has caused the international community to be unable to reach consensus on how to respond to the crisis.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said yesterday that Washington hopes China will encourage the Assad regime to end violence and comply with outgoing UN peace envoy Kofi Annan`s peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida