China: Boy killed, 28 injured in escalator mishap
Beijing: A 13-year-old boy was killed and
28 others injured on Tuesday in an escalator accident at a Beijing
The incident happened at one of the exits of the Zoo
Subway Station as the escalator suddenly changed its direction
causing more than 20 passengers to fall, eye witnesses said.
Photos posted by witnesses on micro-blog weibo.com show
several people lying on the ground at the bottom of the
escalator in a pool of blood.
"People pressed into a pile, and the boy and his father
were buried under others," said an injured witness.
The deceased boy`s father and four others are receiving
medical treatment in the ICU at Peking University People`s
Hospital, Xinhua reported.
The boy`s sister has suffered head injuries and was taken
to Beijing Children`s Hospital, doctors said.
This is the second such incident in China recently as
several people were also injured in Shenzhen city a few months
Beijing MTR Corporation, which operates the Line 4
subway, said in a statement that it has launched an emergency
response and all injured people have been sent to hospitals.
It has expressed sorrow to the victim`s family and apologised
to the injured.
Beijing MTR Corporation has also guaranteed effective
medical treatment to the injured.
The government has demanded a probe into the accident
while asking all subway operators to immediately launch checks
into facilities and ensure their safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan