China bridge collapse: Vehicles, pedestrians fall into river
Beijing: Three people were rescued after several vehicles and pedestrians fell into a raging river in mountainous western China after a bridge collapsed on Tuesday, local authorities said.
The bridge over the Panjiang River in Jiangyou City in Sichuan Province collapsed around 11:30 am (local time), sources with the city`s publicity department said.
The exact number of people who fell into the river and the number of casualties was not known.
Witnesses said a few sedans, a truck and several pedestrians had fallen into the river after the collapse.
Three people had been rescued and sent to a local hospital, as rescue work continued.
Those sent to the hospital were in a non-life-threatening condition, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted officials as saying.
Local fire authorities dispatched 55 rescuers with six steamboats to search a 10-kilometre stretch of the river downstream.
The water level in the river had risen significantly over the past two days amid continuous rainfall in the region.
An initial investigation indicated that flooding at a rate of 7,000 cubic meters per second may be to blame for the collapse.
The bridge, built in 1967, is about 200 metres long and 6 metres wide.
It was repaired and fortified after the devastating Wenchuan earthquake in 2008 in the same province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video