China brings kidnap suspect home from Venezuela
Beijing: Chinese police say they have brought a major kidnapping suspect back to China from Venezuela.
The Ministry of Public Security says Chinese national Xi Mouwei is suspected of heading a criminal gang that carried out kidnappings, robberies and extortion targeting Chinese citizens in Venezuela since 2010. It says the gang demanded ransoms of more than USD 100,000.
He arrived in Beijing yesterday.
The statement says a team from the ministry caught Xi on Feb. 1 with the help of the Venezuelan police and Army. It says police in southern Guangdong province also caught two suspected accomplices. It says police will investigate the case further.
China is keen to be seen as being capable of protecting its citizens abroad and punishing those who commit violent crimes overseas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday