China brings kidnap suspect home from Venezuela
Beijing: Chinese police say they have brought a major kidnapping suspect back to China from Venezuela.
The Ministry of Public Security says Chinese national Xi Mouwei is suspected of heading a criminal gang that carried out kidnappings, robberies and extortion targeting Chinese citizens in Venezuela since 2010. It says the gang demanded ransoms of more than USD 100,000.
He arrived in Beijing yesterday.
The statement says a team from the ministry caught Xi on Feb. 1 with the help of the Venezuelan police and Army. It says police in southern Guangdong province also caught two suspected accomplices. It says police will investigate the case further.
China is keen to be seen as being capable of protecting its citizens abroad and punishing those who commit violent crimes overseas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden