China brings kidnap suspect home from Venezuela
Beijing: Chinese police say they have brought a major kidnapping suspect back to China from Venezuela.
The Ministry of Public Security says Chinese national Xi Mouwei is suspected of heading a criminal gang that carried out kidnappings, robberies and extortion targeting Chinese citizens in Venezuela since 2010. It says the gang demanded ransoms of more than USD 100,000.
He arrived in Beijing yesterday.
The statement says a team from the ministry caught Xi on Feb. 1 with the help of the Venezuelan police and Army. It says police in southern Guangdong province also caught two suspected accomplices. It says police will investigate the case further.
China is keen to be seen as being capable of protecting its citizens abroad and punishing those who commit violent crimes overseas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter