China brings kidnap suspect home from Venezuela
Beijing: Chinese police say they have brought a major kidnapping suspect back to China from Venezuela.
The Ministry of Public Security says Chinese national Xi Mouwei is suspected of heading a criminal gang that carried out kidnappings, robberies and extortion targeting Chinese citizens in Venezuela since 2010. It says the gang demanded ransoms of more than USD 100,000.
He arrived in Beijing yesterday.
The statement says a team from the ministry caught Xi on Feb. 1 with the help of the Venezuelan police and Army. It says police in southern Guangdong province also caught two suspected accomplices. It says police will investigate the case further.
China is keen to be seen as being capable of protecting its citizens abroad and punishing those who commit violent crimes overseas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read