China bugging UK executives to obtain secrets: MI5
London: China is laying “honey traps” for UK business executives by bugging and burgling them in order to blackmail them into providing sensitive commercial secrets, British intelligence service MI5 has alleged.
The Times quoted a leaked MI5 document, as saying that China’s undercover intelligence officers have approached UK businessmen at trade fairs and exhibitions with the offer of “gifts” and “lavish hospitality”.
The gifts — cameras and memory sticks — have been found to contain electronic Trojan bugs which provide the Chinese with remote access to users’ computers.
The 14-page report describes how China has attacked UK defence, energy, communications and manufacturing companies in a concerted hacking campaign, apart from targeting the computer networks and e-mail accounts of public relations companies and international law firms.
“Any UK company might be at risk if it holds information which would benefit the Chinese,” the report says.
China has occasionally attempted sexual entrapment to target senior British political figures.
“An undercover intelligence officer may try to develop a friendship or business relationship, often using lavish hospitality and flattery. Chinese intelligence services have also been known to exploit vulnerabilities such as sexual relationships and illegal activities to pressurise individuals to co-operate with them,” the document warns.
“Hotel rooms in major Chinese cities, such as Beijing and Shanghai, which are frequented by foreigners, are likely to be bugged ... hotel rooms have been searched while the occupants are out of the room,” it adds.
The explicit nature of the MI5 warning is likely to strain diplomatic ties between London and Beijing.
China has repeatedly denied spying on Britain and the West.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery