China calls for attacking Somali pirate bases
Beijing: China`s military is urging land attacks on Somali pirate strongholds in a bold call signalling the armed forces` growing assertiveness.
China`s Navy has taken part in anti-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden since December 2008, but the government has not advocated direct attacks on land areas from which pirates operate.
However, at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday, General Chen Bingde said he believes land bases must be attacked in order for counter-piracy campaigns to be effective.
The US and other countries taking part in the patrols have steered clear of land attacks for fear of becoming mired in ongoing campaigns in Somalia — a lawless nation where 18 US servicemen were killed in the capital, Mogadishu, in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Bankruptcy law credit positive for banks: Moody's
- Indonesia's Mount Sinabung continues eruption
- Congress, BJP quote Mirza Ghalib to spar over Modi govt's two years in power
- Renault forays into pre-owned car biz in India
- When Luna the husky demanded belly rubs during car ride – Watch the adorable moment!