China calls for attacking Somali pirate bases
Beijing: China`s military is urging land attacks on Somali pirate strongholds in a bold call signalling the armed forces` growing assertiveness.
China`s Navy has taken part in anti-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden since December 2008, but the government has not advocated direct attacks on land areas from which pirates operate.
However, at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday, General Chen Bingde said he believes land bases must be attacked in order for counter-piracy campaigns to be effective.
The US and other countries taking part in the patrols have steered clear of land attacks for fear of becoming mired in ongoing campaigns in Somalia — a lawless nation where 18 US servicemen were killed in the capital, Mogadishu, in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living