China calls for global understanding on human rights issues
Beijing: China has said the international community should enhance mutual understanding and cooperation on the issue of human rights as there are differences and disagreements on rights protection.
"We have been upholding that on the issue of human rights, the international community should enhance mutual understanding and cooperation through dialogues and exchanges to jointly promote the international cause of human rights in a constructive way," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.
Elaborating on its November 18 response at a briefing here to questions on the allegations of human rights violations in Sri Lanka raised during the recent Commonwealth Summit in Colombo, it said, "We hold that since national conditions of countries differ and levels of economic and social development vary, countries can have differences or even disagreements on human rights protection."
"What is the most important is that human rights conditions should be improved by the governments of countries concerned through their efforts and constructive help should also be offered by the international community," the ministry said.
- Kerala polls: Time ripe for BJP to open account in the state, says Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- TMC will be wiped out after poll results: Congress
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kings XI Punjab's Axar Patel claims first hat-trick of ninth edition
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions