China calls for global understanding on human rights issues
Beijing: China has said the international community should enhance mutual understanding and cooperation on the issue of human rights as there are differences and disagreements on rights protection.
"We have been upholding that on the issue of human rights, the international community should enhance mutual understanding and cooperation through dialogues and exchanges to jointly promote the international cause of human rights in a constructive way," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.
Elaborating on its November 18 response at a briefing here to questions on the allegations of human rights violations in Sri Lanka raised during the recent Commonwealth Summit in Colombo, it said, "We hold that since national conditions of countries differ and levels of economic and social development vary, countries can have differences or even disagreements on human rights protection."
"What is the most important is that human rights conditions should be improved by the governments of countries concerned through their efforts and constructive help should also be offered by the international community," the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement