China calls for new type of relationship with US military
Beijing: Calling for a new type of relations between the US and Chinese militaries, Beijing on Monday said the two sides should respect core interests of each other.
"Your visit is an important event in the bilateral military exchange programme. We place great importance in it," Fang Fenghui, chief of the general staff of the People`s Liberation Army, told Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, as they held talks here today.
The talks were aimed at establishing rapport between the new leaderships of both the militaries, state-run CCTV said.
Welcoming Dempsey, Fang said both the forces should respect each other`s core interests.
China is apprehensive about US Pivot policy towards Asia-Pacific where it plans to deploy over 60 per cent of its military assets in the coming years.
The talks were held in the midst of tensions in the Korean peninsula after North Korea mobilised forces threatening to attack the US and South Korea.
Dempsey recalled his phone discussions with Fang last month, reaffirming his commitment to work together to improve bilateral military ties.
Dempsey arrived in Beijing yesterday for a five-day visit, the first since he took office as the highest-ranking US military officer in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply