China calls for new type of relationship with US military
Beijing: Calling for a new type of relations between the US and Chinese militaries, Beijing on Monday said the two sides should respect core interests of each other.
"Your visit is an important event in the bilateral military exchange programme. We place great importance in it," Fang Fenghui, chief of the general staff of the People`s Liberation Army, told Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, as they held talks here today.
The talks were aimed at establishing rapport between the new leaderships of both the militaries, state-run CCTV said.
Welcoming Dempsey, Fang said both the forces should respect each other`s core interests.
China is apprehensive about US Pivot policy towards Asia-Pacific where it plans to deploy over 60 per cent of its military assets in the coming years.
The talks were held in the midst of tensions in the Korean peninsula after North Korea mobilised forces threatening to attack the US and South Korea.
Dempsey recalled his phone discussions with Fang last month, reaffirming his commitment to work together to improve bilateral military ties.
Dempsey arrived in Beijing yesterday for a five-day visit, the first since he took office as the highest-ranking US military officer in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown