China calls for restraint in Gaza conflict
Beijing: China has called on Israel and other parties involved in the ongoing Gaza Strip conflict to exercise maximum restraint.
"We strongly urge all parties, Israel in particular, to show maximum restraint, reach an immediate ceasefire, and avoid taking any actions to escalate the situation," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Hua Chunying told a daily news briefing here on Monday.
China has expressed grave concern over the large-scale military action taken by Israel in the Gaza Strip, she said, adding that China condemns the violence that has caused civilian casualties.
Thirteen Palestinians were killed by Israeli planes today in the Gaza Strip, taking the death toll to 86 as the airstrikes entered their sixth day.
Arab foreign ministers held an emergency meeting late on Saturday on Gaza and urged a review on the Arab Peace initiative with Israel.
Hua said China supported the Arab states` just stance on Palestinian issues, and appreciated and backed efforts by Egypt and other regional countries as well as the League of Arab States to ease current tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka