China calls on global community to support Annan
Beijing: China on Friday called on the international community to continue to support Kofi Annan`s mediation efforts to resolve the Syrian conflict.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said at a daily press briefing that the international community should maintain "confident and patient" regarding the former UN secretary-general`s mediation efforts.
Annan, the joint UN/Arab League special envoy for Syria, told the UN General Assembly earlier Thursday that his six-point plan "is not being implemented" and that the situation in Syria is deteriorating.
China believes Annan`s role should be enhanced, Liu said, adding that international support for Annan should be increased.
The international community should provide full support to Annan in a variety of ways, the spokesman said.
China will continue to work with the international community to play a constructive role in ending the violence in Syria, Liu said.
Liu reiterated China`s strong condemnation for the "barbaric actions" in Syria, especially the killing of women and children, stressing that the murderers should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Liu said both the Syrian government and the opposition bear responsibility for ending the violence.
China holds an open attitude toward all proposals that may help to alleviate tensions and promote the early start of a political process, the spokesman said.
- See pic: Tim Kopra shares view of massive storm near Japan from space!
- Thousands rally in Turkey to mark May Day amid tight security
- After Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, forest fire now rages in J&K
- Uttarakhand forest fires: Social media terms it ‘National Emergency’, around 3000 hectares of forest area destroyed
- US, Russia in bids to halt fighting in Syria`s Aleppo