China calls on global community to support Annan
Beijing: China on Friday called on the international community to continue to support Kofi Annan`s mediation efforts to resolve the Syrian conflict.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said at a daily press briefing that the international community should maintain "confident and patient" regarding the former UN secretary-general`s mediation efforts.
Annan, the joint UN/Arab League special envoy for Syria, told the UN General Assembly earlier Thursday that his six-point plan "is not being implemented" and that the situation in Syria is deteriorating.
China believes Annan`s role should be enhanced, Liu said, adding that international support for Annan should be increased.
The international community should provide full support to Annan in a variety of ways, the spokesman said.
China will continue to work with the international community to play a constructive role in ending the violence in Syria, Liu said.
Liu reiterated China`s strong condemnation for the "barbaric actions" in Syria, especially the killing of women and children, stressing that the murderers should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Liu said both the Syrian government and the opposition bear responsibility for ending the violence.
China holds an open attitude toward all proposals that may help to alleviate tensions and promote the early start of a political process, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss