China cautious over first India-US-Japan meeting
Beijing: China on Tuesday reacted cautiously to the first-ever India-US-Japan meeting, hoping that the talks involving the three countries with "great influence" in the Asia-Pacific will be conducive to regional peace and
Beijing has taken note of the relevant report on the trilateral talks that took place in Washington yesterday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told a media briefing here when asked about the meeting.
"US, Japan and India are countries with great influence in the Asia-Pacific region. We hope the trilateral meeting will be conducive to regional peace and stability," he said.
The meeting raised eyebrows in Beijing as it came against the backdrop of disputes between China and its neighbours like Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines and Brunei over the resource-rich South China Sea.
While China was wary of a major US push into the Pacific where Washington backed the claims of smaller countries over South China Sea, India too made inroads under its "Look East Policy" improving its relations with several countries in the region.
India`s entry has already ruffled feathers in China as it objected to ONGC Videsh undertaking oil exploration in the blocks claimed by Vietnam in South China Sea. New Delhi, on its part, asserted that it is purely a commercial deal.
India has also stated that it wants to ensure free navigation against the backdrop of one of its naval ships getting a radio message that it was passing through Chinese waters when it was in the region after a visit to Vietnam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested