China commissions next-generation stealth frigate
Beijing: China on Tuesday commissioned its "next-generation" stealth frigate, amidst a series of maritime territorial disputes with some of its neighbours. The country`s first "type 056" stealth frigate, formerly known simply as ship 582, was renamed Bengbu at a commission ceremony held in a naval port in Zhoushan, a coastal city in east China`s Zhejiang Province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Type 056 frigates are a new generation of vessels developed independently by China and expected to be deployed primarily for escort missions and anti-submarine operations.
Chinese navy has commissioned a new-type guided missile destroyer which can be independently used to attack enemies` ships and submarines.
The ship named "Changchun" was commissioned recently at a military port of a troop unit in Zhoushan City of east China`s Zhejiang province, state run People`s Daily online reported.
Last month China commissioned new-type closed air defence guided missile destroyer with fully-load displacement of 6,000-odd tonnes.
It has greater long-range warning, detecting and regional air defence capabilities, and can be used independently or with other naval strength to attack enemies` surface ships and submarines, said the official media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step