China commissions next-generation stealth frigate
Beijing: China on Tuesday commissioned its "next-generation" stealth frigate, amidst a series of maritime territorial disputes with some of its neighbours. The country`s first "type 056" stealth frigate, formerly known simply as ship 582, was renamed Bengbu at a commission ceremony held in a naval port in Zhoushan, a coastal city in east China`s Zhejiang Province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Type 056 frigates are a new generation of vessels developed independently by China and expected to be deployed primarily for escort missions and anti-submarine operations.
Chinese navy has commissioned a new-type guided missile destroyer which can be independently used to attack enemies` ships and submarines.
The ship named "Changchun" was commissioned recently at a military port of a troop unit in Zhoushan City of east China`s Zhejiang province, state run People`s Daily online reported.
Last month China commissioned new-type closed air defence guided missile destroyer with fully-load displacement of 6,000-odd tonnes.
It has greater long-range warning, detecting and regional air defence capabilities, and can be used independently or with other naval strength to attack enemies` surface ships and submarines, said the official media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok