China court hands life sentence to Bo Xilai for bribery
Zee Media Bureau
Jinnan/Beijing: Fallen Chinese politician Bo Xilai was on Sunday convicted on the charges of bribery, embezzlement and abuse of power and sentenced to life.
The guilty verdict against the former Politburo member was announced by the Jinan Intermediate Court in Shandong province which had conducted a five-day trial in August.
The Jinan court ruled that Bo be handed life in prison for the bribery charges, 15 years for embezzlement and seven years for abuse of power.
The 64 year old ex Communist Party chief of Chongqing metropolis was also stripped of all political rights and the court ordered confiscation of his property, reports said.
Bo, with crew cut hair and wearing a white shirt, stood to hear the verdict.
Bo was accused of graft, bribery and of misusing power to cover up his wife’s role in a British businessman Neil Heywood’s murder.
He was also accused of receiving 20 million Yuan as bribes and owning a luxury villa in France.
Bo remains adamant on his stance of denying the charges said would file an appeal against the judgement to a higher court in Shandong province whose verdict would be final, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post said.
Just days ahead of the verdict, Bo had jotted down a letter from prison, claiming that one day his name will be cleared.
In the letter addressed to his family, Bo had expressed his gratitude towards his parents, and sent a message for his two sons.
oping that one day he will be exempted of the charges and his name would be cleared, Xilai remembered his parents saying, "Father and mother have passed away, but their teachings continue to serve me well. I would not disgrace their glorious past. I could suffer even greater miseries."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader