China cracks down on online rumours, 2.10 lakh posts deleted
Beijing: China has removed more than 210,000 online posts since mid-March and shut down 42 websites in its crackdown on Internet-based rumour-mongering, Xinhua quoted a senior official as saying on Thursday.
The move comes after Bo Xilai, a rising star of the Chinese political scene, was demoted from the country`s powerful politburo after his wife was named by police as a prime suspect in the murder of a British businessman.
Bogu Kailai, whose husband, Bo Xilai, 62, had been tipped as a future leader of China, is being investigated over the death of Neil Heywood. He died in November.
Police initially said Heywood, 41, had died from excessive drinking, but suspicions of foul play led to the British government repeatedly asking for a new investigation.
Bo was dismissed as party chief in the south-west city of Chongqing last month after his police chief spent over an hour in the city`s US consulate in an apparent asylum bid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites