China declares 21 missing miners dead

China today said 21 missing miners, who were trapped underground after a coal mine explosion in the country's east Anhui Province nearly three months ago, are dead.

Beijing: China today said 21 missing miners, who were trapped underground after a coal mine explosion in the country's east Anhui Province nearly three months ago, are dead.

Chinese officials declared that the search for 21 workers who went missing following a gas explosion in August this year concluded with all the miners confirmed dead.

An explosion ripped through Dongfang coal mine in Huainan City on August 19 and 39 workers were caught in mine shafts hundreds of meters underground.

By August 29, six bodies had been found and 21 remained missing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.

The families of the 21 missing miners received USD 14,840 compensation for each worker.

The licensed mine was privately owned and had an annual capacity of 90,000 tonnes.

The Huainan municipal government had ordered all coal mines to suspend production on June 30 and July 1 due to the flood season. But the mine did not obey the order. 

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close