China decries US military report
Beijing: Defense Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng on Monday expressed "strong dissatisfaction" and "firm opposition" to a Pentagon report that misrepresents China`s military development.
Geng said China`s "justified and normal military development" has been unfairly depicted in the report, adding that China has made representations to the US over the report`s content.
China`s military is developing for the exclusive purpose of safeguarding the country`s sovereignty, security and developmental interests, Geng said, adding that its development is in line with the country`s need to deal with multiple security threats.
China has firmly adhered to a peaceful development path and adopted a defense policy that is wholly defensive in nature, he said, adding that China has always maintained a transparent strategic intent and made efforts to expand military exchanges.
Accusations of a possible Chinese military threat are "wrong and groundless," Geng said.
In trying to find excuses to sell arms to Taiwan, said Geng, the US side has been deliberately playing up the imbalance of military power between the Chinese mainland and Taiwan and sowing dissension among them, irrespective of the peaceful development of relations across the Taiwan Strait.
"The Chinese side firmly opposes such moves," said Geng.
He also denied the US accusation of China engaging in cyberattacks against the US, saying such remarks are untrue.
Geng said the US’ suspicions and efforts to discredit China go against the country`s promise to build healthy, stable, reliable and sustainable military ties with China.
Geng said the US must respect facts, change its mindset and cease issuing similar reports year after year, adding that the US should take concrete actions to promote bilateral military relations.
The US Defense Department issued its annual report "Military and Security Developments Involving the People`s Republic of China" on May 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda