China decries US military report
Beijing: Defense Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng on Monday expressed "strong dissatisfaction" and "firm opposition" to a Pentagon report that misrepresents China`s military development.
Geng said China`s "justified and normal military development" has been unfairly depicted in the report, adding that China has made representations to the US over the report`s content.
China`s military is developing for the exclusive purpose of safeguarding the country`s sovereignty, security and developmental interests, Geng said, adding that its development is in line with the country`s need to deal with multiple security threats.
China has firmly adhered to a peaceful development path and adopted a defense policy that is wholly defensive in nature, he said, adding that China has always maintained a transparent strategic intent and made efforts to expand military exchanges.
Accusations of a possible Chinese military threat are "wrong and groundless," Geng said.
In trying to find excuses to sell arms to Taiwan, said Geng, the US side has been deliberately playing up the imbalance of military power between the Chinese mainland and Taiwan and sowing dissension among them, irrespective of the peaceful development of relations across the Taiwan Strait.
"The Chinese side firmly opposes such moves," said Geng.
He also denied the US accusation of China engaging in cyberattacks against the US, saying such remarks are untrue.
Geng said the US’ suspicions and efforts to discredit China go against the country`s promise to build healthy, stable, reliable and sustainable military ties with China.
Geng said the US must respect facts, change its mindset and cease issuing similar reports year after year, adding that the US should take concrete actions to promote bilateral military relations.
The US Defense Department issued its annual report "Military and Security Developments Involving the People`s Republic of China" on May 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi