China defends N-cooperation with Pak
Beijing: Ahead of a key global summit on
atomic security, China on Tuesday defended its nuclear cooperation
with Pakistan as "mutually beneficial" and in accordance with
Luo Zhaohui, the Director-General of Department of Asian
Affairs, told reporters that China-Pak nuclear cooperation was
being conducted under the supervision of International Atomic
Energy Agency, the global nuclear watchdog body.
"China-Pakistan had several years of nuclear cooperation
in building Chashma nuclear power station. This station is
subjected to IAEA safeguards. So far it is mutually beneficial
and in accordance with international law," he said at a press
meet when asked about China-Pakistan nuclear cooperation as
well as global anxieties over Pakistan nuclear weapons falling
into the hands of militant groups.
China’s Assistant Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu said the
Nuclear Security Summit, to be attended by Chinese President
Hu Jintao and heads of states of 53 countries and
international organisations from March 26-27 in Seoul, would
focus on strengthening the security of nuclear materials and
The summit will conduct full review of the progress made
by the international community on the nuclear security since
the first summit held in Washington in 2010, he told a media
China has built about two nuclear reactors at Chashma and
constructing two more. China also has announced plans to build
one 1,000 mw nuclear unit at the same place. Luo said the
China-Pak nuclear cooperation is ongoing.
"After the Fukushima disaster, we have given greater
attention to nuclear safety. We have had some consultations
(with Pakistan) and had some technical work (done). We have
full confidence in nuclear technologies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India