China demands US explanation on phone tapping allegations
Beijing: China on Thursday demanded an explanation from the US over allegations of phone tapping saying it was gravely concerned over reports that America had intelligence collection sites in the communist nation.
"We have made representations to the US side, and we demand the US to clarify and explain itself on this matter," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said replying to question on media reports that US cities were spied by US.
"We urge foreign missions in China and their employees to strictly abide by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and other international conventions, and not to engage in any activities incompatible with their duties and status that may hurt China`s national security and interests," she said.
Hua made the remarks in response to a question on a report that United States has about 80 intelligence collection sites worldwide, including China, where US embassy and consulates in the cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu are engaged in phone tapping.
It was also alleged that some intelligence officers use their diplomatic status as a cover.
"A healthy and steady Sino-US relation is beneficial not only to the two countries, but also to the stability and prosperity of the??Asia-Pacific region and the whole world," she said.
China and the United States must work together and faithfully observe the mutual agreement to build a new type of relations between major powers defined by non-confrontation, mutual respect and win-win cooperation in handling every aspect of Sino-US relation, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened