China denies assaulting Vietnamese fishermen
Beijing: Amid its dispute with Vietnam over
sovereignty of some islands in the South China Sea, China
today refuted reports that its maritime forces assaulted and
robbed 11 Vietnamese fishermen near the disputed Xisha
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hong Lei told a media
briefing here that Chinese maritime forces did not use force
in the law-enforcement process nor they boarded the Vietnamese
Media reports said the Vietnamese fishermen had been
assaulted and robbed by the Chinese side.
Vietnamese Foreign Ministry spokesman Luong Thanh Nghi
said today that China`s action seriously infringed upon
Vietnam`s sovereignty and gravely threatened the lives and
security of its fishermen.
Hong reaffirmed that China has indisputable sovereignty
over the Xisha Islands and its adjacent waters.
Chinese departments have recently expelled from China some
Vietnamese ships committing fishing piracy in the waters of
the Xisha Islands, Hong said, noting China`s action is
legitimate and lawful.
In the spirit of humanism, China has always offered rescue
assistance to Vietnamese fishermen in real distress, and
Vietnam has also expressed gratitude for this help, Hong
Hong asked the Vietnamese side to respect China`s
sovereignty over the Xisha Islands and take effective measures
to strengthen education and regulation of its fishermen, in a
bid to stop illegal fishing operations and safeguard the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3