China deploys elite anti-terror unit in Xinjiang
Beijing: China has deployed an elite counter
terrorism unit in the country`s restive western Xinjiang
province where attacks by East Turkistan Islamic Movement
(ETIM) militants last month left at least 22 people dead.
The Snow Leopard Commando unit has moved into southern
Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region to make the region more
secure following a terrorist attack last month, local armed
police was quoted as saying by government-run China Daily
A spokesperson on condition of anonymity said the Snow
Leopard Commando unit is expected to carry out anti-terrorism
missions in both Kashgar and Hotan, the scene of other recent
violence, ahead of the five day China-Eurasia Expo from
The anti-terrorism force is being stationed at Aksu, some
460-km from Kashgar, where some 22 people, including two ETIM
suspects, were killed in different attacks on Han settlers in
the region located close to Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK).
China has vowed to crush the ETIM militants trained in
Pakistan even as the state media highlighted their role in
fomenting militancy in the strategic Xinjiang province.
Earlier this month, Chairman of the Xinjiang regional
government Nur Bekri said that the authorities would go all
out to counter the violence and terrorist suspects would be
given severe punishments.
For the first time, China has blamed Uygur "militants"
trained in Pakistan for the deadly violence.
Xinjiang`s capital Urumqi witnessed massive riots against
Hans in 2009, that left almost 200 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption