China detains bishop for quitting official post
Beijing: A newly-ordained bishop in China has reportedly been arrested after he announced that he was quitting a body that oversaw the country`s state-sanctioned Catholic Church.
According to the BBC, Thaddeus Ma Daqin, Shanghai`s auxiliary bishop, announced his resignation from China`s Patriotic Catholic Association at his ordination mass on Saturday.
Bishop Ma told a 1,000-strong congregation that he was stepping down from the governing body to focus on his new responsibilities, the report said.
There has been longstanding tension between Beijing and the Vatican over recognising Catholic bodies in China
The Vatican, which appointed Bishop Ma, does not recognise the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association (CPCA). The Chinese church in turn rejects the Pope`s authority.
Rumour suggests that Bishop Thaddeus Ma Daqin had been taken to the Sheshan Seminary, the old church on the outskirts of Shanghai, where he was trained to be a priest.
According to analysts, the move has been seen as a challenge to Chinese state control over Catholic churches and clergy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know