China detains man in kidnap, killing of 3 children
Beijing: Chinese authorities detained a man who they said confessed to kidnapping three children from the same southern village and killing them in a forest, officials said on Saturday.
Zhang Xingyan, 33, was taken into custody two days after a boy and two girls aged 8 to 9 went missing on their way to school early this week, the city government of Yueyang in southern China`s Hunan province said in a statement.
Zhang told police that he coaxed the children into a car less than a kilometre from their homes, drove them to another city and killed them in the woods. The children came from two families and knew Zhang, who is from the same village.
Authorities said they found the children`s bodies. A man had demanded a ransom of 900,000 yuan (USD 150,000) for the children`s freedom, but it is unclear if Zhang made that phone call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!